Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Challenge

+2
Renny
agentofping
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Challenge Empty The Challenge

Post by agentofping 5th January 2009, 22:01

The Challange was originally created to enable myself and Scarab to get into 40K in easy steps. As others have expressed an interest in the thing I am posting the details here. Originally The Challenge was to build, collect and paint a 500pt army and then field it in battle. This was intended as just the start; the next stage would be to build on that to create a 750pt army, then a 1000pts etc, etc.) There is no particular time frame to this, just a way to gradually get an army painted in small chunks. This part is mainly intended for me and Necron Lord Scarab as we are starting from scratch (but if anyone wants to start a new 40K army feel free to jump in).

Due to the interest in this project this original idea has been expanded somewhat to potentially include other players who already own armies. What we have in mind is a tournament, the proposed rules for which are outlined here.

CARPS 40K League

1. 5th Edition Rules.
2. A legal army list (in this case 500pts) - only one army list may be used, so the same army will be fought by all partipants.
3. All figures should be painted and based - I think GW rule that a painted figure must have at least 3 colours which seems fair. As far as basing goes as long as it is consistant I don't have a problem (even if you just use plain black slotta bases as long as they are neat and tidy). Hopefully people will get into the spirit of the thing however and field minis that are as good as time, skill and resouces will allow. Basically we just want to play games with nice looking 'finished' miniatures, but this isn't intended to be a painting contest.
4. Each player plays each other player once - this equal one Round with a winner declared at the end.
5. Each battle determined randomly as per 40K rules.

I think that's about it. The above rules are not meant to be some sort of serious competition, more to make the games fun and fair. None of it is set in stone so if there is anything that I have missed, or any suggestions, changes or amendments you can think of leave feedback here. And if you're interested in playing also post here.

Lock and load you hosers

Agent
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

The Challenge Empty Re: The Challenge

Post by Renny 5th January 2009, 23:18

This sounds like a good idea. Let me know if there's anyone who has expressed an interest but isn't on the forum yet and i'll nag them to sign up.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger 6th January 2009, 00:48

Sounds good to me, but I don't have any minis and I don't really want to start collecting and painting more - Mike would go mad!

Anyone got painted armies they don't want? Very Happy
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by scarab 6th January 2009, 03:03

well my young apprentice is in the process of getting a blood angels army together with about a 500pt painted army ready and more models yet to be painted.so i am sure that he may let you borrow some .

ben
scarab
scarab
NOVICE

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger 6th January 2009, 03:05

Excellent - Let me know when you have a free night Ben, come on over and see the new house and have a drink - Bring Ruth and the kids as well, it would be good to catch up again!
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 9th January 2009, 07:12

Forgot to mention, for the 500pt Challenge games playing area should probably be only 4x4'.

Agent
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

The Challenge Empty The gauntlet has been thrown down

Post by Thunderfists 13th January 2009, 06:11

Mike mentioned that the Imperial forces would need to take the field to counter the expansion of 2 age old enemies.

Looks like the 4th Grey Ghosts Skitarri Regiment must once more stride forth with the might of the Mechanicum behind it to slay foul heretics and deviant aliens (how comes the aliens are always deviants? can't some of them just like things in a normal way?).

Look forward to facing a new challenge over the field of battle.

Simon

Thunderfists
EXTRA

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 13th January 2009, 19:16

Thunderfists wrote:Looks like the 4th Grey Ghosts Skitarri Regiment must once more stride forth with the might of the Mechanicum behind it
Yummy Smile

Agent
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 17th January 2009, 06:56

Thinking about scoring this league. I was going to suggest something simple, so; 3 points if you win, 0 if you lose and 1 point each for a draw.

Gimme your thoughts, would such a scoring system be too skewed for so small a pool of players?

Agent
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger 17th January 2009, 22:48

Sounds good to me - Just like the old football pools! Twisted Evil

Can we organise an introductory game at some stage to give me a feel for the system,

Cheers.
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 18th January 2009, 03:24

Digger wrote:Can we organise an introductory game at some stage to give me a feel for the system

Still painting... Rolling Eyes

Agent
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger 19th January 2009, 20:02

That's okay - You really don't have to spend all that time just for me!! Twisted Evil
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 19th January 2009, 21:22

Digger wrote:That's okay - You really don't have to spend all that time just for me!! Twisted Evil
Why I oughta...
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger 19th January 2009, 22:11

Oh Please! You love painting - Did I tell you about all the miniatures I have that need. . . . . . . . . Razz
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 20th January 2009, 01:28

Actually I enjoy finishing miniatures, not painting them.

Agent
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

The Challenge Empty Painting

Post by Digger 20th January 2009, 02:39

Looking forward to the Warhammer game - See you next Wednesday (28th) for the boardgames night - Any news from the new game?
Digger
Digger
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus 20th January 2009, 09:47

Been thinking about the scoring system,
may i suggest, 3, for a win, 2 for a draw and 1 for a loss, that way you always get something for playing, My thoughts would be that this will keep the league tighter between players, so if some one losses a few games in a row they wont come away with nothing and lose interest.
also if useing the points system in the rules i was thinking that a draw is scored if their is less than 100pts differance between the sides.

just some thoughts

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 21st January 2009, 05:48

Actually I don't think any scoring system is going to make that much difference with the number of people taking part. I ran some numbers and the 3/1/0 system came out slightly ahead in terms of providing a spread of results i.e. a first, second, third etc. Whereas the 3/2/1 system meant that there was slightly more 'ties' for places, but there wasn't much in it. I'll keep thinking about it and if there are any more suggestions post 'em here.

On another note, to keep things fair I reckon we should get a neutral party to receive our various army lists and when they are all in, they can send them out to all the participants - just in case there might be some last minute 'tweaking' Twisted Evil

AoP
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 21st January 2009, 08:08

I'll volunteer for that as when it comes to WH40K I couldn't be any more neutral Very Happy
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 30th January 2009, 08:49

Assuming everyone is agreeable, I going to say we kick off the league in March. This will give people time to finish their armies, perhaps play a few 'friendlies' before we begin and give a chance to anyone else who wishes to sign up to get prepped.

As Steve has kindly volunteered to be the 'holder', army lists should be sent to him by no later than Sunday the 22th of Febuary. Once they are all submitted Steve can send them all out to everyone at the same time. After which there can no changes to your army list. I will PM people with his email address soon.

Hopefully this will be okay with people, if not shout out.

AoP
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 30th January 2009, 10:03

That's aces with me chaps Very Happy
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

The Challenge Empty Rosters

Post by Thunderfists 3rd February 2009, 06:43

For those of you wanting to make sure your rosters are correct I would suggest Army Builder which I have used for years and Mike and I used last weekend to create your armies.

You can download it from

http://www.wolflair.com/rightframe.php?context=army_builder&page=downloads

The free version only works up to 1000pts from what I recall.

After that you need to buy the licence for it.

Simon

Thunderfists
EXTRA

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 3rd February 2009, 19:30

BTW how much is using only the 40K rules and codexs (i.e. no Forgeworld rules) going to mess people up? I have been informed that some people may be using some resin. I don't know if that is just FW versions of existing Codex figures/mods - which is not a problem - or actual rules that are not part of the core game material.

AoP
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus 4th February 2009, 04:21

i have probably 4 units that would come from forgeworld,
Human mercs,
Heavy plasma cannons for the Hammerhead,
Sentry Towers,
Drone turrets.

Though these units are not being considerd for the 500pt army they [May] be used for the larger armys.
The stats are available in the imperial armour books.Though not part of the mainstream rules they are considerd Official and so i would suggest that the stats be made available to all the players if a unit is to be used.

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 17th February 2009, 07:16

Remember that all army lists need to be submitted to the email I PMed you with not later than Sunday. Once they are all in they will be sent out and we can start arranging some games.

AoP
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next