Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WH40K-BLITZ

Go down

WH40K-BLITZ Empty WH40K-BLITZ

Post by Great Teufel 13th May 2010, 00:12

I have been thinking about my WH40K-Blitz idea some more.

I would still like to try playing WH40K with a more skirmish feel, rather than the large scale battle the rules are designed to simulate. Quicker games, smaller setups and less figures per side. To this end I want to come up with some rules tweaks that will give satisfying games at 1/3 or 1/2 the normal game points total. The object is to not change the rules mechanics but to add a little bit more detail - possibly incorporating ideas from Rogue Trader and Necromunda - and remove some of the confusing abstraction that do not suit smaller scale games.

With that in mind a few brainstorming ideas:-

RANGED COMBAT

-Individual Figures: Although figures still operate in squads, they will be treated as individuals for the purposes of combat, wounds etc. In other words individual figures fire at individual figures, not units, and wounds are applied to individual figures.

-Movement: Because figures are considered individuals they are moved individually. Thus only those figures in the unit that have changed position are considered to have moved, not the unit as a whole. Important when it comes to things like heavy weapons.

-Morale: Every time a unit takes a wound (whether saved or not) that unit must make a morale roll (based on the highest Ld currently in the unit). If the wound results in a causualty that takes it over 25% strength normal rules apply for failure. If not and the roll is failed then the unit is supressed and cannot move on their next turn, though they can still fire as normal.

-LOS: Individual figures can block LOS (even if in the same unit); -1 to their shooting roll if LOS is partially blocked.

-Facing: Changing the direction a figure is faces is free, but the direction the figure is facing effects ranged attacks. Ranged attacks against targets within 90 degrees of their front facing are unaffected, however attacks against targets outside of this are at -1 to their shooting roll. Ranged attacks against a target are effected by its facing. I firing at a figure and the attacker is within 180 degrees of their rear facing they receive +1 to shooting skill.

-Targets: Troops can split fire between different targets if they wish; not all of a units fire must be directed at the same target, though figures still only get their normal number of shots per shooting phase. Also the entire unit must declare targets before any shots are taken.

-Cover: Cover provides concealment and protection. If the target is in/behind cover the Shooting skill of the firer would be modified as follows: partial cover, -1 to shooting roll; good cover -2 to shooting. Figures still get their armour save (or take the cover save as normal), but intervening units don't grant a cover save, this is already factored in as part of blocking LOS (above).

-Template Damage: Only those figures covered by the damage template have a chance of being wounded.

-Target Size: Larger targets are easier to hit: 40mm bases/small vehicles like bikes +1 to shooting roll; 60mm base/large vehicles like tanks and APCs +2 to shooting roll.

-Range: Listed ranges for weapons are their effective range, if the target is within half this distance +1 to shooting roll. If firing at a target within the shooters BS in inches then they get +2 to their shooting roll.

CLOSE COMBAT

-Assaults: Only figures in actual base to base combat are counted as engaged in HTH.

-Flanking: In close combat if a single figure is attacked by more than 1 opponent in base to base contact, the attackers may get a bonus to their WS. If the number of opponents engaged with a single figure is greater than the defenders 'A' trait, they get a +1 to thier attack roll i.e. a if 2 figures attacked an enemy with A:2 they would gain no advantage, however any additional attackers joining the fight means that all the attackers would get +1 to their attacks.

(alt) If more than one opponent is in base contact with a figure during assault add the total of all the attackers WS together. Each figure attacks at that level. For example 3 marines (WS:4) are in base contact with an enemy during the assault phase, when working out what their to-hit each has an effective WS of 12 (4+4+4).

-Defence: At the start of each assault phase a figure can declare that it is defending rather than attacking. For that assault phase the defender's 'A' value is added to it's WS, however that figure gives up it oppurtunity to do any damage that phase. So a Space Marine Captain (WS:5, A:3) beset by foes declares that he is defending at the start of the assualt phase. During that phase he does not make an attack when his Initiative comes up but for that turn has a WS of 8! At the start of an assualt phase a figure can declare that it is defending. They forfeit their ability to attack that turn, but any figures in assault with it subtract the defenders 'A' value from their attack rolls.

-Losing Combat: Failing a morale roll after losing a round of combat does not automatically destroy the retreating unit. However the attacker gets a number of free attacks equal to their 'A' trait on the retreating figure.

-Acceptable Loses: You can fire at targets that are currently in close combat, however if you hit the target of the attack is determined randomly.

I'm sure I will noddle more ideas as they come so watch this space.
Great Teufel
Great Teufel
SEASONED

Back to top Go down