Renny's Game Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of a classic

3 posters

Go down

Return of a classic Empty Return of a classic

Post by Mykilus 18th August 2009, 18:48

The classic GW game Space Hulk is set to celabrate it`s 20th birthday.
Details can be found hear....

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=0&aId=2900037a&sta

However the game is priced at £60 and is strictly limited to 24000 copies and once it`s gone that will be it.

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Return of a classic Empty Re: Return of a classic

Post by Renny 18th August 2009, 21:02

£60? What planet are they on?
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet
Name: Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 18th August 2009, 22:38

Well it is GW, but looking at the components you do get a lot in the box. The floor tiles in particular look very robust, so I don't think the price is too excessive - though it's certainly not cheap - especially compared to picking up 2nd hand version of the original in ebay.

AoP
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 18th August 2009, 23:52

The components are very nice and all that but £60? Also, this will presumably send the price on ebay downwards. Fair play to GW if they can make money in this hobby at a time like this but it still seems like there are around 24000 people with more money than sense.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus 19th August 2009, 03:05

I think that thay have said that it has about £100 worth of mini`s. Granted that most of them
are new sculpts, also the tyles are compatable with the old game,
i agree though that it is over priced. Though i can think of 1 person who will probably by it.

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 28th August 2009, 18:40

Renny wrote:The components are very nice and all that but £60? Also, this will presumably send the price on ebay downwards. Fair play to GW if they can make money in this hobby at a time like this but it still seems like there are around 24000 people with more money than sense.
If this game was put out by Fantasy Flight or some other company it would probably retail for 40-50 quid I'm guessing, but the miniatures would probably be single hard plastic sculpts - perfectly servicable but not as nice if you care about such things.

To put it in perspective however; the original boxed ACTA game was (what?) about £35 when it first came out (a few years ago now) and that consisted of two not especially large rulebooks and a set of rather flimsy counters.

AoP
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 28th August 2009, 20:43

agentofping wrote:
To put it in perspective however; the original boxed ACTA game was (what?) about £35 when it first came out (a few years ago now) and that consisted of two not especially large rulebooks and a set of rather flimsy counters.
AoP

Using Mongoose to back up any kind of point about value for money is pretty much a waste of time as they are, after GW, the masters at making you pay through the nose for stuff. No argument there. That said, however, I got a bucketload of play out of that game for £35, as did most of the rest of you. I have my doubts whether I would get as much entertainment out of Space Hulk. YMMV. At the end of the day, if you like this stuff, you'll pay for it. On a side note, Fantasy Flight are releasing a third edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay in a big box with cards and nice components for near the $100 mark.

Here is the first part of their Gencon presentation.
Renny
Renny
GAME MASTER

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mykilus 28th August 2009, 21:23

The other thing to consider is that what you get in the box,
Thats it, their will be no expansions,
no new modules and no support for it, (at least from GW)

Myke
Mykilus
Mykilus
VETERAN

Back to top Go down

Post by agentofping 28th August 2009, 21:53

Renny wrote:Using Mongoose to back up any kind of point about value for money is pretty much a waste of time as they are, after GW, the masters at making you pay through the nose for stuff.
\,,/ord! Although what stops me buying Mongoose is not so much their prices, more the quality of their products.

I could have also used SJ Games Frag as a prime example too.

It all boils down to personal taste. I didn't get ACTA (despite thinkng the rules were good) because I thought it was just too expensive for what you got. I didn't get Frag for the same reason despite really, really wanting to - because it felt like a real rip-off. I *did* buy Eagle Games Attack! which was the same price as Frag because it was a good game and that box was chocka. I doubt if I will get Space Hulk, but that's because it isn't a game I'm really interested in owing.

How much play you get out of a product is seperate issue really - but probably the best judge of whether any game is worth the price.

AoP
agentofping
agentofping
VETERAN

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: